Museo Egizio (Egyptian Museum in Turin)
The Museo delle Antichità Egizie is the only museum other than the Cairo Museum that is dedicated solely to Ancient Egypt. As Champollion famously wrote, “The road to Memphis and Thebes passes through Turin”.
Many international scholars, since the decipherer of Egyptian hieroglyphs Jean-François Champollion, who came to Turin in 1824, spend much time pouring over the collections.
The collections that make up today’s Egyptian Museum in Turin were enlarged by the excavations conducted in Egypt by the Museum’s archaeological mission between 1900 and 1935 (a period when finds were divided between the excavators and Egypt).
Six and a half thousand objects are on display, whereas a further 26,000 objects are in storage. Much of this material is not on view because of the lack of display space, the conservation needs, and some objects are really only of interest to scholars and not to the general public (for example undecorated pottery, fragments of inscribed papyrus etc.). However, much of the material not displayed is being studied by scholars from a number of disciplines and will be published eventually.